Lets face it.. we want to do it ALL! Finding that healthy balance between work and family life can be challenging. So here are my top 5 tips to maintain a healthy relationship with both areas.
1. Be focused! Studies have shown that you can’t do two things at once and focus 100% attention on both. Your children as well as customers/clients can tell if you are distracted. Try to have an accomplished business conversation while picking up your kids from school. Chances are you will loose focus as soon as your kids enter the car! Remind yourself to be present in the moment whether it be with your children or with your business.
2. Take care of yourself. Sometimes we can fall short in this area. But if we don’t take good care of ourselves, everything else can fall short. Eat right, exercise and spend some time doing what you love to do! Whether it is sitting and reading a book before you go to bed then do it! We have to find a happy medium to not over do it and burn out. So take that extra minute everyday to do sometimes for yourself! You deserve it!
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Being a mom and entrepreneur you need that support. So don’t be afraid to ask a personal business coach to help you out with appointments. They have an interest in your success so they should help with calls or appointments. It also may be a family member to help watch your kids while you do appointments. You don’t ask you don’t get! In my experience a drop in daycare center has worked out really well when family members aren’t able to watch my son. If that is an option for you, find one in your area that you can use and trust.
4. Nobody is perfect. Striving for perfection in your business or home life is not feasible! Nobody is perfect and sometimes things don’t go as planned. By now being a mother sometimes you have to go with the flow. The stars are not always going to align and we are ALL human! Allow yourself to make mistakes, because in the end you will learn from them. It is ok if you didn’t respond to ALL your emails or return ALL calls at the end of the day. Again, nobody is perfect so allow a flexible schedule instead of a rigid one.
5. HAVE FUN! You know I always have to put this into my steps! Sometimes people can take themselves too seriously. After all, if you are not having fun in your business and with your family something is wrong. If you aren’t excited to talk about your business or do appointments you probably are not with the right company. So have fun in what you do because that attracts others to what you have!!
Keeping a happy balance between work and family makes things work a lot more smooth. At the end of the day if you feel that nothing lacked in either area you did something right. Be blessed in every area!